- Read the Coastal Connections' article Hearts of the Dulcimer -- a film by two Pacificians.
- October 27, 2013 Hearts of the Dulcimer will be screening at the Pedro Point Firehouse in Pacifica, CA
- September 21, 2013 Hearts of the Dulcimer will be screening at the Memphis Dulcimer & Folk Gathering
- Interested in holding a screening of Hearts of the Dulcimer in a large or small venue? Contact us!
- Free download Hearts of the Dulcimer posters: http://bit.ly/HOTDposter1 and http://bit.ly/HOTDposter2
a passionate journey of the mountain dulcimer
HEARTS OF THE DULCIMER is a feature-length documentary film about the mountain dulcimer boom in the 1970s in California and its lasting impact. Through colorful interviews, rare archival footage, and live performances, HEARTS OF THE DULCIMER gives a firsthand account of living life in the counterculture, following one's passion, and playing and building mountain dulcimers.
Originating in the Appalachian Mountains in the late 1800s, the mountain dulcimer has always represented something different from mainstream, materialistic, industrialized America. In the 1960s, its rustic elegance appealed to those who were part of the counterculture.
In the late 1960s, the dulcimer made its way to California. Embodying the California spirit of innovation, an itinerant group of dedicated dulcimer enthusiasts created new traditions in both building and playing. Remaining true to the dulcimer’s rustic origins and do-it-yourself tradition, they found their own self-expression through the instrument. Over four decades, they went on a passionate journey with the dulcimer.
View the HD version on Vimeo (click on HD mode before playing)
Find out where to see Hearts of the Dulcimer by joining the mailing list.
Copyright © 2013, Hearts of the Dulcimer. All rights reserved.