- August 8, 2014 @ 8 pm Hearts of the Dulcimer will screen at St. Philip's Episcopal Church: 5271 Scotts Valley Dr. Scotts Valley, CA. Doors open at 7:30, presented by Community Music School.
- The dulcimer is the star! Half Moon Bay Review newspaper article about Hearts of the Dulcimer (June 25, 2014).
- Listen to an interview on radio station KHMB about Hearts of the Dulcimer (June 19, 2014).
- See Hearts of the Dulcimer in Douglas, AK: September 11, 2014, 5 pm, presented by Juneau Public Library.
- European Premiere in Scotland! Tuesday 23rd September 2014, 7.30pm, presented by For the Love of Folk.
- Read the Coastal Connections' article Hearts of the Dulcimer -- a film by two Pacificans (Dec. 2013).
View the HD version on Vimeo (click on HD mode before playing)
a passionate journey of the mountain dulcimer
Hearts of the Dulcimer is a feature-length film about the counterculture and a passion for an often-misunderstood instrument.
The mountain dulcimer often conjures up rustic mountain life and simple traditional music from the American South in a bygone era. But that’s not the whole story. From a group of countercultural youth living in the Santa Cruz Mountains in the late ‘60s to Joni Mitchell's influential Blue album in the early ‘70s, the mountain dulcimer found a new voice in a "new land": California.
This newly released documentary doesn't hit you over the head with obscure facts. Instead, Hearts of the Dulcimer takes you on a heartfelt journey--both musically and narratively--inviting you to see this musical instrument in ways you might not have imagined.
In the late 1800s, dulcimer builders and players living in the Appalachian Mountains were attracted to this rustic instrument's do-it-yourself spirit. They found freedom of expression in the dulcimer; there were no written rules on how it should be built or played. This same DIY spirit captured the imagination of 1960s countercultural youth in California. They discovered this same freedom, and created new musical and art forms with this simple mountain instrument.
Find out where to see Hearts of the Dulcimer by joining the mailing list.
Copyright © 2014, Hearts of the Dulcimer. All rights reserved.